To celebrate St Patrick's Day, we decided to make Helen Goh's Irish Whiskey Cake! Helen's Instagram is @helen_goh_bakes and she is a very talented pastry chef and recipe developer! Originally a Melburnian, Helen now works in London alongside Ottolenghi.
300 g dried fruit
100 ml Irish Whiskey
300 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
200 g unsalted butter
200 g dark brown sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
220 g full fat crème fraiche or sour cream
Icing sugar to dust
1. Place dried fruit and whiskey in a bowl and leave to soak overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 180c. Grease and flour 23 cm spring form tin.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and set aside.
4. Place butter, sugar and zest in a bowl and beat until light and creamy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
6. Stir in Vanilla, then add flour mix alternating with crème fraiche.
7. Lastly, fold in soaked dried fruit, including the syrupy alcohol.
8. Pour into tin and bake for 50 – 60 min. Rest for 10 and dust with icing sugar.